Eating For Mental And Physical Health
As your loved ones age, eating well can be the key to both mental and physical health. Healthy eating doesn’t have to be about dieting and sacrifice. Physicians will often recommend special diets for those with osteoporosis, heart disease, or diabetes. Putting a healthy diet in place can be challenging.
The benefits of healthy eating, or eating the right diet include:
- Increased mental acuity
- Resistance to disease and illness
- Higher energy levels
- Faster recuperation times
- Better management of chronic health problems
Malnutrition in Seniors
Malnutrition is a critical health issue among seniors, caused by eating too little food, too few nutrients, and by digestive problems related to aging.
Malnutrition can cause fatigue, depression, weak immune system, anemia, weakness, digestive, lung, and heart problems.
Tips for preventing malnutrition in seniors:
- Eat nutrient-packed food
- Have flavorful food available
- Have healthy snacks between meals
- Eat with friends and family
- Get help with food preparation
- Consult your doctor